Monday, September 21, 2020

The Tell-Tale Heart

"...His name was David."
"What?"
Eric stood up from the bench and turned to face me. "The Dying Man shard. The carcass. His name was David."
"...Oh, Christ. Eric, I'm sorry. I..." I shook my head. "I'm so sorry."
"I never knew what killed him. Not at first. I thought it was wild animals. That's what the official story was. Once I learned about the Fears, I thought maybe it was one of them, but now... now I know." He sighed. "I know that thing killed him. And now it's possessing him."
I didn't know what to say. I barely even knew how to cope with the thing that had worn my own brother's body.
"He was my friend," Eric said. "We were on a camping trip. He heard something out in the dark. Went outside to check what it was." He shook his head. His hands were shaking. "Needless to say, he didn't come back. After a little while, I went outside myself. And... and I found him."
 
His whole body was shaking as he sat down again.

"They said he was killed by wild animals. That's how bad it was."
 
We're on the move again now. We haven't really said anything to each other since he explained what happened to David.
 
What am I supposed to say?
 
I want to comfort him. To make him feel better. But I can't even do that for myself.

It hurts.
 
- Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment